Terms & Conditions
The Magna Bold Perspective Awards online competition (the “Competition”) is organized by Ultima Media Ltd (publisher of Car Design News) and Magna Exteriors Inc. (collectively, the “Organisers”). This Competition is governed by these terms & conditions. By entering the Competition, you are deemed to accept these terms & conditions.
The 2021 Magna Global Bold Perspective Challenge is to design a four-to-six passenger vehicle for the year 2030 that functions as a SUV, van or pickup. The exterior design should incorporate innovation that focuses on three key areas;
- Access; Improve the entry and exit of passengers, their possessions, and depending on vehicle purpose, tools and cargo.
- Sustainability; Having sustainability as a core design objective, you will have the opportunity to include what materials you would use to make the vehicle, how it’s manufactured, how the vehicle serves the user and how it is ultimately disposed of. With lightweight innovative materials, efficient powertrains such as battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell, active aerodynamics that improve vehicle efficiency, and material recycling you have the potential to significantly reduce the impact of the vehicle on the environment.
- Appearance; Utilizing innovative exterior body panels, materials and advance technologies to create an exterior that appeals to buyers and users with beauty and purpose.
We are looking for solutions that allow everyone the freedom to travel, work and achieve with ease while ensuring a better planet for current and future generations.
Successfully developed concepts must show what problems are being solved for individuals or groups by the vehicle. We want insights into the challenges consumers face and solutions that could solve them. Concepts will be judged on innovation, sustainability and appeal. Entries should use the year 2030 as a time frame, and vehicles need to be road based. The level of autonomy is up to the designer, but it should be assumed that when necessary the vehicle can be driven manually.
The competition is open to individuals enrolled as a full-time student for the 2020/2021 academic year in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree course relating to transportation design at a college or university in China, the U.S.A., Canada, and the European countries listed on the registration entry form.
- All Entrants must be a minimum of 18 years old and of the legal age of majority in their country of residence.
- Group or team entries are allowed
- The Organisers reserve the right to verify entrants’ eligibility to enter the Competition and may request information necessary for such purpose by using the contact information provided by entrants at the time of registration.
The Competition includes three regional competitions and a final global competition.
Entries for the three regional competitions may be submitted during the following submission periods:
China (for eligible entrants from China) – the competition is open for entries as of 1 October 2020 and applications must be submitted no later than 18 January 2021. Applications received after 18 January 2021 will not be considered.
North America (for eligible entrants from the U.S.A. and Canada) – entries may be submitted from 11 March 2021 and must be submitted no later than 19 July 2021. Applications received after 8 June 2021 will not be considered.
Europe (for eligible entrants from countries listed on the registration form) – entries may be submitted from 11 March 2021 and must be submitted no later than 19 July 2021. Applications received after 19 July 2021 will not be consirered.
The winner of each regional competition will be entered in the final global competition.
The competition is free to enter. However, entrants are responsible for any costs incurred in preparing or submitting an entry.
To enter the Competition, please go to https://www.cardesignnews.com/magna-global-bold-perspective-award to complete the online application.
Limit one entry per entrant. There is no limit to the length of entries. All entries, including text and any labels of images and diagrams, MUST BE in English.
Incomplete entries or those which do not comply with these Terms and Conditions may be disqualified in the sole discretion of the Organisers.
By entering you are certifying that the work you submit is wholly your own. Plagiarism from a third party, or receiving the support or coaching or guidance of a third party, is strictly forbidden and will result in disqualification from the Competition. In the case where the judges have included a disqualified entry as a finalist or winner, these will be cancelled and withdrawn. The Organisers reserve the right to publicise such cancellation and withdrawal on Car Design News and other media.
Format & Technical Specifications for Entries
Entries must also include a written explanation of the design. The written explanation should provide a context for the design, describe the project in detail, and explain the technologies involved.
Entries, including your design and written explanation, should be supplied in a single file in high-resolution PDF format. When creating your PDF, please ensure it meets the following criteria:
- Must be a PDF version 1.3 or higher with the maximum size 150MB
- Must be CMYK
- File must not contain any transparent elements
- Each page must be A3 paper size (landscape) and not contain crop marks
- Aim to present the entry over approximately four pages in the single PDF file
- All images contained in the PDF must be high-resolution (300 dpi minimum)
- All fonts must be outlined or embedded within the PDF document
You may also submit an animation in support of your entry, although this is not a requirement for entry into the Competition. Any animations in support of the entry should be in QuickTime video format in a single file with the maximum size 150MB.
Remember, presentation counts – entries that are presented professionally will have a clear advantage. Written explanations should be typewritten, and sketches should be clearly identified and explained.
The Organisers may choose up to four pages of your entry for publicity and display purposes at the Car Design Forum LA during the 2020 Los Angeles Auto Show. If you send in more than four pages, there is no guarantee that the extra pages will be displayed.
If you have any problems or questions please contact Bradley Smith at Bradley.Smith@ultimamedia.com
Selection and Criteria for Judging Winning Entries
Round I judging will be completed by the following dates:
China – March 26th, 2021
North America – June 14th 2021
Europe – June 14th, 2021
Round I judging will be conducted by senior representatives of Car Design News and at least one independent member. Round I judges will use the following criteria to narrow the entries to between thirty (30) and fifty (50) finalists for each region.
Judges will base their assessments on creativity, vision and demonstration of technical skill.
The finalists will be notified on or about the completion of Round I judging using the e-mail address provided in each finalist’s entry.
Round II judging will be conducted by Magna Exteriors’ Global Director of the Industrial Design Group and at least three independent judges who work in the design field. Round II judges will use the same criteria from Round I to select three regional winners – one from China, one from Europe, and one from North America. The regional winners will be announced on the following dates and notified using the e-mail address provided in each winner’s entry:
China – June 4th, 2021
North America – July 5th, 2021
Europe – July 5th, 2021
Round III judging will be conducted by Magna Exteriors’ Global Director of the Industrial Design Group and at least three independent judges who work in the design field. Round III judges will use the same criteria from Round II to select one global winner from the three regional winners. The global winner will be announced at the 2021 Car Design Dialogues virtual event.
The Organisers have the right at their absolute discretion to appoint and replace judges. The decisions of the judges in the Competition are final, All entries are deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address that is submitted on the entry form. Entrants are responsible for monitoring their e-mail account for notifications related to the Competition. If an entrant is chosen as a finalist or winner and does not respond to the notification e-mail within seven (7) days, that entrant will be disqualified from the Competition, and an alternate will be selected as a replacement finalist or winner.
The three (3) regional winners – one from China, one from Europe, and one from North America – shall each receive:
- $6,000 USD (or the equivalent in local currency), and a complimentary pass to the press days of the 2021 Car Design Dialogues.
One (1) global winner shall receive:
- $5,000 USD (or the equivalent in local currency) and recognition as the global winner during an announcement at the 2021 Car Design Dialogues.
Incidental costs and expenses not specifically listed above as part of a prize that may be associated with the award, acceptance, receipt and use of all or any portion of the awarded prize are solely the responsibility of the entrant. Prize money is awarded to fully cover costs and expenses and any remainder may be kept by the entrant. Magna will report to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service the amount of the prize money, gift card, and Auto Show pass awarded to prize winners, plus any amounts paid by Magna to, or for the benefit of, prize winners for the costs of hotel accommodations, airfare and ground transportation that are incurred in connection with the contest and as contemplated above. As applicable, Magna Exteriors Inc. will withhold federal, state, and local taxes as required by law with respect to such amounts but prize winners are nonetheless solely responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes associated with such amounts.
Prizes are non-transferable. Regional winners are solely responsible for obtaining any travel documentation, including a valid passport and visas, that is required for them to travel internationally. If in the judgment of the Organisers air travel is not required due to the prize winner’s proximity to Los Angeles, California, ground transportation will be substituted for round trip air travel at the Organisers’ sole discretion.
Prizes may not be awarded if an insufficient number of eligible entries are received.
To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the Organisers and their parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies, agents or representatives shall not have any liability under these terms and conditions or in relation to the Competition for:
- lost, late, misdirected, illegible, or damaged entries or any other such events that may occur; or
- technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connection or for distorted or scrambled computer transmissions or if, for any reason, computer programs are not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Organisers that corrupt or affect administration, security, fairness, integrity or discretion of the Competition; or
- any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of submissions; or
- any technical malfunction of any telephone network, online transmission, servers or computer equipment, nor any software failure or failure or disruption of transmission of emails on account of technical problems, human error or congestion on the internet or any website; or
- any combination of the above, including any injury or damage to the entrant’s or any other’s computer related to or resulting from participation.
The Organisers reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify, reschedule or suspend the Competition and accept no responsibility for any damages caused. The Organisers shall notify entrants participating in the Competition of any changes to terms and conditions, deadlines or dates and/or any termination, suspension or cancellation of the Competition by publishing the information on http://magnadesigncompetition.com/
Intellectual Property Rights and Warranty
By entering the Competition, each entrant warrants and represents that their entry is an original work created entirely by the entrant, that the entrant owns all of the rights in the ideas and concepts embodied in the entry, and that the entry does not violate any law, regulation, or right of any third party, including but not limited to rights of copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, publicity, or privacy. Further, each entrant acknowledges and accepts that submitting an entry that is copyrighted, or contains trademarks, or describes patented concepts, or is otherwise subject to the rights of another individual or entity, makes the entrant solely responsible for any legal action the legal rights holder might take in relation to such entry.
Nothing in these terms and conditions will affect any entrant’s ownership of any intellectual property rights, including copyrights, in their entries. Notwithstanding the previous sentence, by submitting an entry to the Competition, whether a winning entry or not, at the moment the entrant submits the entry, that entrant is required to grant and hereby does grant to the Organisers and their parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies, representatives, and agents an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty‐free, worldwide, non-exclusive license (including the right to grant rights and licenses to third party partners in the Competition) to use, publish, display, distribute, copy, reproduce, edit, adapt, modify, alter, broadcast, copyright, created derivative works, or otherwise exploit the entry online and in any media now known or hereinafter developed, including but not limited to on the Organisers’ and their affiliates’ websites, media channels, social media, and in publications, without compensation to or further permission from the entrant.
The Competition is free to enter and, save for delivery of the prizes to the winners and as otherwise set out in this Section, the Organisers and their parent, affiliate, and subsidiary companies do not (to the maximum extent permitted under applicable law) accept any liability to any entrant whether in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation or otherwise in connection with these terms and conditions or any entrant’s participation in the Competition.
To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the Organisers and their parent, affiliate, and subsidiary companies shall not have any liability to any entrant whether in contract, tort (including negligence or breach of statutory duty), misrepresentation or otherwise in connection with the Competition or these terms and conditions for any loss of profit or economic loss (direct or indirect), or indirect or consequential loss suffered by the entrant or any other person howsoever arising.
To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the Organisers and their parent, affiliate, and subsidiary companies do not assume any liability, and each of them shall have no liability or obligation whatsoever for disclosures of information provided by an entrant as part of an entry or otherwise during the course of the Competition.
To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the Organisers and their parent, affiliate, and subsidiary companies shall not have any liability under these terms and conditions or in relation to the Competition in relation to any matters which are outside of their reasonable control.
Entrants shall be solely responsible for any and all costs incurred in connection with participation in the Competition or the claiming or use of any prize.
EACH ENTRANT SHALL KEEP THE ORGANIZERS AND THEIR PARENT, AFFILIATE, AND SUBSIDIARY COMPANIES INDEMNIFIED IN FULL AND ON DEMAND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, DAMAGES, ACTIONS, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LEGAL AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL ADVISER’S FEES AND DISBURSEMENTS, ECONOMIC LOSS AND LOSS OF PROFIT (DIRECT OR INDIRECT), INDIRECT LOSS OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS) RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM (A) THE ENTRANT’S FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS; OR (B) ANY CLAIM OR ALLEGATION BY A THIRD PARTY THAT THE ENTRANT’S ENTRY OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS SUBMITTED BY THE ENTRANT INFRINGE THAT PARTY’S RIGHTS OR BREACH ANY APPLICABLE LAWS.
The Organisers reserve the right to withdraw any entrant from the Competition at any time, in the unlikely event that an entrant or any person representing the entrant:
- Fails to comply with these terms and conditions;
- Causes embarrassment to the Organisers, or other participants involved in the Competition, for example, by inappropriate or offensive behaviour (the final decision on acceptability rests with the Organisers);
- Provides false or inaccurate information or fails to demonstrate (to the Organisers’ satisfaction) ownership of the rights to the design or any content presented as part of the entry;
- Fails to deliver the offer to an acceptable standard as detailed in the entrant’s entry;
- Does not comply with any applicable laws or regulations (or whose application does not comply with any applicable laws or regulations); or
- Provides false or inaccurate information about their legal status, capacity or eligibility under these terms or fails to demonstrate (to the Organisers’ satisfaction) their legal status, capability or permission, as required by these terms and conditions.
If any of the above circumstances arise, an entrant may be excluded from involvement or further involvement in this Competition.
With regards to the Magna Bold Perspective Awards, the personal information we collect is processed under Contract and used by the Organisers to:
- Verify your identity and eligibility to enter the competition
- To notify you about the competition and your participation in it (including reminding you about the criteria, specific requirements, the associated deadlines you must meet and your progress within the competition)
- To fulfil any additional requirements related specifically to the awards including any necessary communication in the event that you are one of the finalists or winners.
Ultima Media may also, from time to time, send you information about other relevant events, products and services that it provides. In this circumstance, your data is managed under Legitimate Interest. You always have a choice and can opt out of processing on this basis at any time by contacting our Database Manager Justyna Makowiecka by email Justyna.Makowiecka@ultimamedia.com or telephone +44 20 8987 0900
- Each Competition winner will be responsible for any tax liability arising as a result of the receipt of a prize. Neither the Organisers nor any of the parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies shall have any liability in respect of any such tax liability.
- There is no cash alternative to any non-cash part of the prize.
- No entries will be returned.
- ENTRANTS CONSENT TO THE USE OF THEIR NAME, LIKENESS AND CONTENT INCLUDED IN THEIR ENTRY IN THE ORGANISERS’ AND THEIR PARENT, AFFILIATE AND SUBSIDIARY COMPANIES’ PUBLICITY REGARDING THE COMPETITION, WITHOUT THE NEED FOR FURTHER APPROVAL AND WITHOUT COMPENSATION. THE PRIZE WINNERS FURTHER CONSENT TO THE USE OF THEIR NAMES IN A LIST OF WINNERS PUBLISHED BY MAGNA AND/OR ULTIMA MEDIA OR THEIR PARENT, AFFILIATE OR SUBSIDIARY COMPANIES.
- No entrant may assign or transfer any or all of its rights under these terms and conditions to any third party, without the Organisers’ prior written consent.
- These terms and conditions set out the entire agreement between the Organisers and each entrant and override any prior correspondence or representations relating to its subject matter. All entrants acknowledge that they have not entered the Competition in reliance on any warranty, statement, promise or representation other than those set out in these terms and conditions.
- No entrant will have a claim against the Organisers or their parent, affiliate, or subsidiary companies for a misrepresentation (unless that misrepresentation was made fraudulently) or any warranty other than those set out in these terms and conditions.
- If any provision of these terms and conditions is ruled to be invalid for any reason, that invalidity will not affect the rest of these terms and conditions which will remain valid and enforceable in all respects.
- The agreement with each entrant formed on the basis of these terms and conditions is intended to be legally binding. THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY ISSUES, DISPUTES OR CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH IT (WHETHER CONTRACTUAL OR NON-CONTRACTUAL IN NATURE) SHALL BE GOVERNED BY, AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW OF ENGLAND AND SUBJECT TO THE NON-EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION OF THE ENGLISH COURTS